It's been an interesting ride to this point, starting with the ride down to Portland. Two Sundays ago, Chris and I loaded the rest of our earthly possessions into the West Coast Sailing trailer and headed over to Seattle Yacht Club to meet up with Chris' boss, George. SYC had hosted the US National Team Race Championships that weekend and George was reselling six of the V15's purchased brand new specifically for the event. In return for letting us use the trailer, we were helping George load all the boats and transport them down to Portland. It took about five hours to load everything up - George was towing a four boat trailer with an added laser on the side, plus a boat on top of his truck, Chris had the last boat on top of his truck and was towing the trailer with all our furniture, while my car was packed with my stuff and cartopping six booms and some laser spars. We were quite the caravan leaving Seattle at about 10:30pm. We stopped for an hour long snooze somewhere south of Olympia, and ended up pulling into Portland and the West Coast Sailing warehouse at about 3:30am. Chris and I finally hit the sheets at 4am on Monday morning...and thus began my first day in Portland!
The adventures have only continued as we've moved our stuff into the apartment, unpacked and generally adjusted to this new life. I spent most of last week organizing the apartment and looking for employment. We spent our first weekend together not in Portland, but in Eugene, acting as Race Committee for NWCISA's team race champs (Congrats to UW for qualifying - and a shout out to all the other teams for some great racing!).
My second week in Portland has been a little more interesting. I spent Tuesday at the DMV getting my car registered and my new Oregon driver's license - a little more than $200 later, I'm officially an Oregonian again. Then yesterday Chris had the day off, so Sophie, Russ, Chris and I took the Pearson out on a little sail up the Columbia...unfortunately our sail included running aground and having to be rescued by Columbia River Marine Assistance. Another $200 later and we were ungrounded and heading back to the marine, ending our evening with some delicious dinner and much needed alcoholic beverages at The Sextant.
And now for another day of job searching, applications and cover letters. I've submitted a few applications already at a variety of jobs, mostly with local government offices. They are all really impressive opportunities and I hope they pan out. It's hard to say right now though, because most of them say not to expect any word for a couple weeks at least and many of them don't have closing dates until next week. In the meantime, I'll keep searching, applying, and crossing my fingers.
And for your viewing pleasure...here is my new city :)

No comments:
Post a Comment