I applied for two more jobs yesterday - both at Portland Community College campuses. One is south of us and one is closer to where Chris works.
The postings have definitely been slowing down. It's been more difficult in the last few days to find opportunities worth applying for. There are quite a few part time positions, but I really need something with benefits. Right now I don't have any kind of insurance and I definitely don't want to continue that practice.
I just keep crossing my fingers that something will come through. I don't really know what else to do. I apply for jobs when I find them and I wait for some to contact me. I think that is the hardest the part - the waiting. It's especially bad because most employers are switching to these anonymous online submissions systems. Basically, you fill out some generic online forms with all your information, attach a cover letter, resume and whatever else they ask for and press submit. There's no one to contact to follow up and many times they explicitly tell you not to contact them. It's so isolating and makes you feel so vulnerable because you have no hand in the process after that point. You just have to hunker down and wait and pray that the person on the other end of all those wires and computer screens notices you and sees you for the potential human employee and fellow contributor you are.
I'm just not very good at being patient, especially when the numbers in my bank account are slowly dwindling.
No comments:
Post a Comment