Sunday, December 5, 2010

New job, new beginnings

I was only unemployed for about six weeks, but I completely forgot how much working takes out of you....both in time and energy. I am enjoying the new job though - the people have been very welcoming and the company itself is great. Sometimes I do get a little bored. It's hard to not feel like the work I'm doing is below my education level - I mean I didn't have to go to college to know how to answer the phone and walk to rite-aid to buy half & half for the break room. It can be frustrating, but I keep trying to tell myself that this all part of the process of learning about the company and moving my way up in its ranks.

I've learned that quite a few of the people that were once in my position have moved on to be project associates or into HR. I think I would like either - I really like the people in HR and the idea of helping to facilitate an enjoyable work environment. I also like the project associate position, because it's working hands on with their programs - so it could be anything from rebate programs, to lighting, to residential buildings. I just have to be patient and work hard and try to learn as much as I can.

Besides work things have been going well - Chris and I have been doing pretty great. There are still a few bumps in the road every now and then, but overall I can't complain. We make a good team. We spent Thanksgiving with his family at their cabin in Washington. It was really nice. His family is extremely welcoming to me and I enjoy spending time with them. There was even some joking about me being their FDL - future daughter in law. I can't say it doesn't sound nice. Despite my best efforts, marriage is a thought that has been entering my mind a lot lately. I don't really know why, but it keeps coming up. I think it's because I'm not entirely sure if Chris wants to marry me. I mean, we're happy together and everything is great, but I just feel anxiety about the long term and where he stands on that. For the time being, I'm trying to just push it out of mind and enjoy the way things are - we both have good jobs, a nice place to live and plenty of opportunities. It's time to just smell the roses for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment